The root cause of water damage may be anything from a destructive natural disaster to something as small as a leaky faucet. The prevalence of water damage is cited by the American Insurance Association as being the leading cause of claims, which resulted in nearly $10 billion worth of damage between 2007 to 2009? Regardless of why your home or business is damaged, it’s essential to seek out professional help to repair and prevent long-term damage. Read more here.
Causes of Water Damage
As with many things in life, knowledge is power. While certain causes of water damage are due to events outside your control, others are in direct relation to improper plumbing or improper pipe repair. The following is the most common causes of residential and business water damage:
- Leaking pipes due to damage or lack maintenance
- Plumbing issues
- Busted pipes due to freezing
- Leaking roof
According to a study provided by ACE Private Risk Services, nearly 93 percent of all costs related to water damage could have been minimized, or even prevented, if homeowners installed an automatic water shut-off system or water leak detection system. Although these preventive measures aren’t the cheapest, they could potentially save you hundreds or thousands of dollars.
How to Fix Water Damage in Your Home or Business
Fixing water damage in Raleigh, NC requires specialized treatment. Unlike other areas of the country, North Carolina features high-humidity during spring and summer months, which when added with already drenched flooring or walls, is a recipe for mold and mildew development.
Prevent further damage to your home, as well as potentially harmful bacteria and mold growth, by immediately contacting a professional damage specialist, such as Taylor’s Cleaning and Restoration. The following is common steps taken to protect and restore your water damaged home:
- Stop the Flow of Incoming Water – Regardless of the source of water, the first step is ensuring no more water makes its way into your home
- Remove All Items – Any items left in the room should be immediately removed to prevent further damage. This includes furniture and other personal property. Part of this process involves turning off and removing all electronic items while ensuring electricity is cut off from wet areas.
- Swiftly Dry Wet Areas – Through industrial strength drying fans, water is dried as quickly as possible. It’s essential to start this process ASAP to prevent further water damage, or mold development.
- Document and Record Damage for Insurance Purposes – The most effective water removal specialists understand the complex nature of dealing with homeowners insurance. Along with accumulating necessary evidence and documentation, professional water damage services understand if starting an insurance claim is necessary.